Looking for Meaningful Work? Join the Black Mountain Home team.
If you are looking for a great place to work in a Christ-centered environment, then we invite you to join our ministry team. Each week, we come together for a meeting, including a time of Christian devotion and prayer. Ongoing staff development and training is provided. Please note that all new employees must successfully complete a background check prior to their start date.
To apply for one of the positions below:
- email your resume and a cover letter (required) to [email protected] using the job title as the subject of your email.
- resumes and cover letters can also be mailed to our Employement Manager at 80 Lake Eden Road, Black Mountain, NC 28711.
- No phone calls, please.
DEVELOPMENT OFFICER – COMMUNITY COMMUNICATIONS
Candidate will be an important member of our development and community relations team, assisting in creating and implementing solicitations, grant applications, events, and other marketing initiatives to ensure a strong base of financial support for the ministry. The Development Officer will serve as an ambassador for Black Mountain Home, including being available to travel regionally to speak about the ministry in churches and other organizations.
- Create content for fundraising and marketing materials, including newsletters, brochures, solicitation letters, and other.
- Build relationships through in person meetings, phone calls, and emails to ensure continued support and partnership.
- Maintain up-to-date and accurate records of all donor contacts in the database.
- Assist with planning and execution of events, including soliciting sponsorships.
FOSTER CARE CASE COORDINATOR
Foster Care Case Coordinators complete case management duties for licensed foster families, and serve as the bridge between families and the county DSS agencies.
Qualifications include: Bachelor’s degree in social work or human services field and one year of directly related experience or other bachelor’s degree with two years of directly related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. (Social Worker II).
- Supervise foster families, including coaching, follow-up, and accountability in accordance to structured home visit requirements.
- Work alongside foster families to serve as the bridge between the family and the county DSS agencies.
- Responsible for accurate and timely documentation in accordance with policy and state regulations.
- Apply advance child welfare knowledge to develop plans of service to establish the appropriate interventions to be provided for each child on caseload and to assure compliance.
- Assist foster families and the child in accomplishing service plan goals and ensuring progress towards goals are documented.
- Cover on-call when assigned, which includes responding to emergency situations after hours on a rotating basis
HOUSE PARENT COUPLE (Full-time/Designated Cottage)
Married Christian couples sought to serve as house parents for youth residing in cottages on our Christ-centered campus in Black Mountain, NC. In this role, House Parent (HP) couples model family communication and dynamics while providing care and supervision. HPs work a 7-days-on/7-days-off rotating shift with another couple to provide care for up to ten similar-age youth in a cottage. They prepare meals, help with homework, drive youth to appointments, and maintain the household while providing an overall positive, encouraging environment. Cottages have dedicated bedroom and bathroom for house parents, with additional room for house parent’s children. An off-campus, personal residence is needed during the off-week. Additional support services for youth in care include an education coordinator (youth attend public schools), recreation coordinator, and administrative staff.
This position requires special people who understand that there are no perfect paretns, but are looking to give their time and energy to making a positive, Christian difference in the lives of abused, abandoned, and neglected children. House parents are trained to use a team-oriented, trauma-informed approach to parenting, which helps us create a safe, stable, home environment for the children entrusted to our care. The ideal candidates are calm, nurturing, nonjudgmental, flexible, highly organized, and capable of utilizing a loving, Christian approach to providing boundaries and structure for children.
HOUSE PARENT COUPLE (Full-time/Floating)
Married, Christain couple sought to provide rotating support to multiple cottages on our campus. Couple will work 7 days on/7 days off when working together as house parents, filling in for regular house parents during vacations, respites, vacancies, and sick leave. When not scheduled to work as house parents, couple will provide support to various departments within the ministry based on previous job experience, skill set, and background, working 5 days on/2 days off.
Previous experience working with children in a residential setting is desirable, but not required. House parents provide care for up to ten children in a designated house; teach residents basic living skills; take children to appointments; maintain their assigned cottage; and provide a supportive, positive environment. Flexibility, patience, and a desire to change lives for the better a must. Must have valid drivers license and be willing to drive 15 passenger bus.
Independent Living Program Coordinator
Coordinator works with and supervises two additional Independent Living Coaches to provide case management services for residents in the Black Mountain Home Independent Living Program. The position is full-time, is part of an on-call rotation, and year-round housing is provided. Significant previous experience working with young adults is preferred. Flexibility, patience, and a desire to change lives for the better is a must. Candidates must be team oriented, energetic, adaptable, and assertive.
- Must have:
- bachelor’s degree in Social Work or related field from a school accredited by the Association of Colleges and Schools, with four years of experience working with older adolescents.
- or a Master’s Degree in a human services field with one year of experience working with older adolescents.
- Proficiency in basic Microsoft Office suite; effective verbal and written communication skills; and ability to observe, ask insightful questions, listen actively, and give and accept feedback effectively.
- Comfortable networking in the community, churches, schools, businesses and other to promote the program and the ministry.
- Time management and follow-up skills with ability to plan, organize, and prioritize a significant number of tasks.
Schedule: Eight days on/six days off, typically beginning Tuesday morning and ending the following Tuesday evening.
RESIDENTIAL CASE COORDINATOR
Responsibilities include: Supervision and leadership of direct care staff as well as case management responsibilities. Overnights occasionally required for retreats and emergency coverage in houses. Applicant should have the ability to build relationships with community partnerships and also assist in coordinating activities at satellite campus. Seeking someone with a passion for making a positive difference in the lives of children. Qualifications include:
- 4 year degree in social work or related field
- excellent organizational skills
- professional level writing and computer skills
- significant experience working with children in foster care is preferred.
- ability to network in the local community—churches, schools, etc. to promote and support the ministry.
- adaptability, assertiveness, patience, and strong servant leadership.
RETAIL: THRIFT STORE ASSISTANT MANAGER
Retail manager needed to assist the General Manager in leading the Mountain Home Thrift Store: Cheryl’s Place. Duties include, scheduling, receiving and sorting donations, retail display, acting as cashier/check-out, cleaning, and other activities of daily operation. Experience in retail leadership preferred, but not required. Candidates must demonstrate experience and commitment to providing excellent customer service. Must be able to lift or assist in lifting and moving a variety of items that may weigh more than 50 lbs and have a valid NC driver’s license.
In addition to serving as the home of the Black Mountain Home apprenticeship program, the Shepherd of the Hills Retreat Center is available to the public as a donation-based event center. The Coordinator oversees the scheduling, programs, and development of the property with a heart to support Black Mountain Home’s mission of glorifying God by caring for children, youth and families. This position requires collaboration with many other staff and departments within Black Mountain Home to maintain operations and develop programs with excellence. The Retreat Center Coordinator also works with students in Black Mountain Home’s Job Training Program to assist them with their transition into the workforce.
- Respond to facility use inquiries, maintain reservations, manage property development, and evaluate maintenance needs.
- Assist in development of day camp and foster day camp programming.
- Develop relationships with guests and volunteers to raise awareness for Black Mountain Home’s ministry.
- Liaison with Development Department for Black Mountain Home special events hosted on site and assist in content development of promotional material.
- Assist in implementation of recreation programming.
- Supervise Retreat Center Assistant and day-to-day operations.
- Supervise Culinary Arts Instructor and growth of food service program.
All staff attend a weekly staff meeting, which includes participation in a time of Christian devotion and prayer, and participate in mandatory trainings. New employees must successfully complete a background check prior to their start date. To apply for a position, email your resume and a cover letter (required) to [email protected] or mail to 80 Lake Eden Road, Black Mountain, NC 28711. No phone calls, please.
Address resumes to:
Black Mountain Home Employment Manager
80 Lake Eden Road, Black Mountain, NC 28711
Black Mountain Home for Children, Youth & Families is an Equal Opportunity Employer.